Monday, January 3, 2011

Just like Julia

The other day I was watching the movie Julie and Julia and there was a part in the movie after Julia Child’s sister Dorothy had gotten married, where Julia was sitting in the kitchen reading a letter from her. The letter was announcing the fact that Dorothy was pregnant. This part of the movie broke my heart because Julia was trying so hard to be happy for her sister but you could feel pain that she was feeling because they were not able to have children. Even now I cannot write about it without my eyes getting misty.

The reason I share this story is not to show that I am an emotional person that cry’s because someone is sad but it was because I truly knew what she was going though. The pain that she felt, I have felt. Infertility is real and it is a powerful trial that many of us have been called to go through.

What makes infertility so difficult? This is a question that cannot be answered in one single post but I would like to define what infertility is. According to www.medterms.com infertility is “The diminished ability or the inability to conceive and have offspring. Infertility is also defined in specific terms as the failure to conceive after a year of regular intercourse without contraception.”

I know that some people know they are going to have troubles conceiving before they even start trying but other, like me, have no idea that they have problems with fertility until they after they have tried for a while but have not succeeded. Either way, dealing with infertility is very much so an emotional roller coaster and I am grateful that I don’t have to ride it alone!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that part of Julie and Julia too. I sat there on my couch, all alone, and cried for Julia. For the same reason you did. I could feel her pain. I knew what it felt like. I find myself crying more for other people than I do for myself and it's all because I can feel their pain and know what they're going through. I'm glad you're doing this blog. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete