Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Firtle Mirtle

Today at church, there were two babies who were blessed by their fathers in sacrament meeting. One of which was the first baby in the family and the other was baby number 9. While I was sitting there I had a thought that I have had many times; what allows one person to have children where someone else is not able to?

I understand that this question can be quite a loaded one which has many different answers to it and it really can be looked at it from a spiritual perspective or from a scientific perspective. As I was sitting there I realized that ultimately it all boils down to the fertility of the couple trying to have children. For example this family that has 9 children, they have been able to conceive naturally, they haven’t had to have any help getting pregnant at all and what I would call a “Fertile Mertile” . According to www.medterms.com, the definition of fertility is, “The ability to conceive and have children, the ability to become pregnant through normal sexual activity.”

I know that in the world of trying to conceive, there is a lot of different terminology and differences of opinions. This week I really want to give my thought on what fertility and infertility is all about and define some basic terms. I know when my husband and I started trying to have a baby; I didn’t have any clue about what was entailed in fertility or infertility. Hopefully these next few post can help build your fertility vocabulary or maybe freshen up on it.

3 comments:

  1. I too have had those thoughts, but as you said so well, it all depends on the fertility of the couples involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read this blog. I have been dealing with infertility for 17 years now. We have tried everything you could think of. I am sad that there are so many of us that are going through this trial. But, I hope this blog will help everyone to know that we are not alone in our suffering. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you comments guys! I really appreciate the fact that you are out there supporting me. If there is ever anything you would like my opinion on, please don't hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete