Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hannah's promise.

Hannah’s story can be found in First Samuel chapters 1 and 2. She was one of two wives of Elkanah, an Ephrathite. “Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.” (1 Sam 1:2).

I adore the fact that it mentions in this chapter that even though Hannah was not able to have children, Elkanah loved her. He didn’t shun her for not bearing him sons but loved her still the same. This love can be seen throughout this story and it is wonderful that her husband stood by her side during this trying time.

This trial was very difficult for Hannah and it states that she was persecuted a lot for the fact that she could not bear children. Whether this was persecution from the other wife or from others in the community, it isn’t known because the bible just says that her adversaries provoked her. Either way, emotionally she suffered great turmoil over the fact that she was barren.

As Hannah was sorrowing her sweet husband stated, “Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons?” (1 Sam. 1:8). I can tell in this scripture that Elkanah really wants to soothe the pain of his wife. Granted he might not have gone about it the right way but his intentions were good. Men are amazing!

It reminds me of all the times that I have commented, complained, or cried over the fact that we can’t have children and my husband (because he loves me so much) always tries to fix the problem. Unfortunately for men this isn’t an easily fixable problem and they tend to get the brunt end of the emotions. I’m grateful though for my husband’s willingness to be there for me, even when there isn’t a quick solution for why I am crying.

What Hannah does next shows enormous faith because in her bitterness she decides to call upon the lord and puts her faith in him. She goes to the steps of the house of the Lord and makes a vow, “O Lord of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the Lord all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.” (1 Sam. 1:11).

Hannah is truly amazing! I have pondered several times if I would be able to have the faith to devote the only child from my womb to the lord. Would I have the faith and the courage to promise the lord that if he blessed me with the one desire of my heart, I would in turn, hand my child over to one of the prophets to be raised? I feel that Hannah was such a courageous and genuinely selfless woman! It also makes me think, what are the reasons that I want to have children? Is it purely for myself or is it for a higher purpose?

What I find to be the most impressive is how Hannah reacts when she actually delivers a son. She praises the lord with all her heart! Her joy exceeded the pain that she ever had and instead of sorrowing that she would soon turn her son over to be trained by another, she sings praises. She prayed and said, “My heart rejoiceth in the Lord, mine horn is exalted in the Lord: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation. There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.” (1 Sam. 2:1-2). This prayer lasts eight more verses and I think it is one of the only prays recorded in the bible that was given by a woman.

The story continues as it tells that once a year, when Hannah’s family went to offer sacrifices, she would bring her son a coat. Only once a year Hannah was able to see her son and she was happy with the fact that he was serving the lord. But the lord did not forget that sacrifice that Hannah made and he opened her womb and blessed her with three more sons and two daughters.

I hope that when the time comes that I will remember the lord and give thanks in such a profound way as Hannah. I know that what we do for the lord and his work is not forgotten and it does not go unnoticed by the lord. If we will remember him in all that we do, he will remember us in our times of suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment