Friday, May 20, 2011

Looking to the Lord

I am the husband and have been asked to write a few things about possible insensitivity's that may have been said regarding infertility.

I can't really say that I have been offended by what anybody has said to me about why we didn't have any children, more than anything I think of how ignorant the person was for saying something they definitely did not fully understand.  For instance, I remember somebody at the university I was attending asked me why we didn't want to have children after I told her how long I had been married.  Without even asking me first the reason why we did not have children after four years of marriage (at the time), she simply assumed that my wife and I didn't want to have kids.  Once she left, I just began to laugh and I'm sure I told a few of my friends who also laughed pretty hard.

There are things in this life that all of us are ignorant to.  A lot of couples do not ever even think other couples cannot have children because they can have a child basically at any time.  The easiest way for me to not worry about dumb comments made about infertility is to laugh about what was said and remember the ignorant comments I have mistakenly made to people that offended them.

Always remember that we are all children of our Heavenly Father.  And, although He is perfect, we definitely are not perfect; therefore, it's not our job to judge others and hold grudges.

A post from the "other" half

1 comment: