Tuesday, March 22, 2011

OB/GYN's

Usually after you have seen a family doctor the next doctor you would to go to is an Obstetrician/ Gynecologist or also known as an OB/GYN. Now an OB/GYN is the doctor that specializes in medicine for women.

Wikipedia describes these doctors as, “Obstetrics and gynecology (or obstetrics and gynecology; often abbreviated to OB-GYN, OBG, O&G or Obs & Gynae) are the two surgical–medical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, respectively, and as such are often combined to form a single medical specialty and postgraduate training program.” In other words the Obstetrics works with a woman’s pregnancy and everything that goes along with that while the gynecologist works with women on anything that is connected to the female reproductive organs.

Some woman when dealing with infertility will skip the family doctor and go straight to their OB/GYN because they specifically work with these issues. This is a good idea especially if you have painful periods, irregular periods, painful intercourse, you’re not ovulating or if you have mid cycle bleeding.

When I finally went to an OB/GYN that is when I felt I finally received some of the answers I was looking for. My doctor didn’t just want to put me on fertility medicine she wanted to figure out what was the cause of my irregular periods and my other problems. This is the point where I came to the understanding that the more I knew about what was going on the more I felt in control over my situation.

Again not all OB/GYNs are the same and each doctor/practice, will do something a little different. Some will do infertility procedures and some wont, but on the bright side most all of them can order for the fertility testing to be done, where or not it is done in house.

No comments:

Post a Comment