Monday, March 21, 2011

Family doctors


Usually when people think about going to the doctor the first person they go to is usually their family doctor or a general practitioner. These are the doctors that could treat anyone from a newborn to someone who is 100 years old but they have not completely specialized in one area. Now these physicians may have a preference as to who they will see and, for example, only like to work with people who are between the age of 18 and 60 with a certain type of insurance, or they may not.

As I mentioned yesterday, not all doctors are created equally, especially when dealing with infertility. Some family doctors won’t treat it at all where others may do limited testing and treatments. When choosing a family doctor or if you already have one, ask them what they do for infertility.

When I first went to see the doctor, he saw my age and my general health and said that he would put me on clomid and that I would just get pregnant. Looking back there were obvious reasons that I wasn’t able to get pregnant but he didn’t want to do any testing to figure that out. The next doctor I went to she was much more interested in finding out what the underlying problems were but I will talk more about her tomorrow.

The biggest thing is to find out what your doctor offers, what he does for infertility, and how long he will treat you before referring you onto the next doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment