Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Surgery Part 2

Once they have inserted the instruments, they will fill the stomach cavity with carbon dioxide so that they can inflate the stomach and have room to explore. Once that is done they will in essence check everything out to make sure it all looks goods. They will make sure all your parts are all there and look healthy.

Checking the validity of the tubes is probably one of the easiest things to check. They will perform a test similar to a saline sonogram but they will do it with at colored dye. This way as the fluid flows into the tubes they will be able to see if it will pour out into the stomach cavity or if it will balloon up and show a blockage. If there is a blockage they will move onto the next step, which would require removing the blocked tube.

To remove a tube this requires the use of an extra incision. This allows them to insert the tool they will need to cauterize, cut and remove the tube. This incision is usually about an inch long. Here are a few pictures that show the incision, a bad tube and what a good tube should look like:

The incision

The ballooned fallopian tube

A healthy tube. As you can see below the tube is a bluish liquid. This liquid spilled out and whereas with the unhealthy tube the liquid stayed in the tube.
These pictures are actually taken from my own laparoscopic surgery and if you have any questions about the processes don’t hesitate to ask.

2 comments:

  1. My doctor did the HSG which showed one swollen tube and one blocked tube. He recommends the lapo surgery in order to remove the blocked tube and check if the antibiotics worked on the swollen tube. I am concerned about scarring. Where and how many and how large the scars may be. I cannot find any good information online that shows photos. What I do find says the scars will be .25 in length. You said yours is longer. Was there a reason for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      Sorry for not responding earlier to your response as I have not been updating this blog for a while. You have probably had your surgery by now but to answer your question. Two of my scars were probably only ,25 in length and those were the ones that were located in my belly button and right above my pelvis bone. The incision that was longer was the one that was located on my left side. That one was longer because that is the incision they used to remove my fallopian tube. It was a little over an inch long. After 3 almost 4 years and I have to say, I can't even hardly see the two small scars and the larger on is faded and someone would have to look close to see it. I hope your surgery went well.

      Delete